I emailed the link to the newspaper piece about my project to the teacher I did all the training with. We keep a close relationship: we often email each other and she supplies me with books and boxes of short stories for me to sell when I deliver a lecture. As a matter of fact, she got me started in this lecturing thing: she was asked to go to a school to talk to teachers on implementing reading activities and she didn't want to go, so she suggested I went - and I did.
I called her the other day and told her about the last school I went to. I wasn't nearly as excited as the previous time, because I had sold lots and lots of stuff, which had not happened this time.
Then, we talked about my kids, what they are doing, the news about reading in another school...
And all of a sudden, I am doing everything wrong. She asked lots of things, like when do I train the kids' reading, how come I use lunch breaks to meet with them, how do I choose the stories...
She thinks I should put this in stand-by at least for a year. Do nothing of what I am doing now during the whole of next school year.
Really. Could it be that I am one step further than what she would like me to be?
How can I say to those kids that there will be no more storytelling? They're over the moon with all this. Just this afternoon, one of them told me how she loved reading the story to the preschool kids. They were overwhelmed by the story and they were actually climbing on her, hugging and hugging her.
I am not cutting those kids' legs. Not I.
Sounds to me like it's a situation of possible "professional jealousy" on her part. I would not take her "advice". She apparently wants to hold you back. Remember the saying: To love someone is to bid them to live and invite them to grow". She isn't doing that for you, right now.
ResponderEliminar